Do you ever wish your small pet could have a treat after dinner with you? Well, with these recipes in your toolbox, your pet can now enjoy homemade quality treats!
With just a few simple ingredients, your pet will be dining with the finest foods such as dinner biscuits and even cinnamon rolls for dessert.
1. Cinnamon Rolls
This recipe makes adorable homemade cinnamon rolls for your small pet to enjoy. Don’t forget the optional ingredients to make it even sweeter for your pet!
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup water
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp mashed banana (optional)
- Oats (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix all your ingredients together to form a dough
- Roll your dough out to prepare for rolling your cinnamon rolls
- Decide if you are using the optional ingredients, and if so, spread the mashed banana and oats across as the filling for the rolls.
- After filling with your desired ingredients, roll the dough and cut it into small cinnamon rolls.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and cook for 10 mins or until firm.
2. Honey Treats
These treats are made in a cupcake tin and can be formed into little circles for your pet to nibble on.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 or 3 raisins finely chopped (optional)
- About 4 tablespoons of hamster food
- 2 tablespoons oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Add the egg whites and honey and mix together
- Grease your cupcake tin
- Fill each hole about ¼ full
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Serve once fully cooled
3. Basic Treats
The exciting part of the Basic Treat recipe is that you can form any shape you would like for your pet! It’s also customizable for holidays or even your pet’s birthday.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- Your hamster’s favorite treats or food, finely crushed
- Water to bind
- Optional: finely grated carrot
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add the oil and any dried fruits or veggies you would like to add such as the carrot
- Begin adding enough water to bind the dough together
- Grease a cookie sheet
- Form any shape you would like for your pet
- Bake for 10 mins or until hard
- Serve after allowing the treat to cool
4. Banana Treat
This is a great no-bake recipe that you can whip up for your small pet in no time! It’s sweet and healthy at the same time ensuring your pet gets the proper nutrients.
- 1/4 of a banana
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- Small squirt of lemon juice
- Mash up the banana
- Add a small amount of lemon juice to the banana to ensure the banana stays fresh
- Add the honey and raisins, then stir all together.
- Serve this in a small bowl separate from hamster food mix.
5. Dinner Biscuits
This recipe is a decadent no-bake treat for your pet that includes many different foods. This is a recipe that is not recommended to give your pet often, as it does have a high content of various ingredients. It’s a wonderful treat to spice up your pet’s time outside of their cage.
- 1/4 teaspoon of nut spread
- Plain Cheerios cereal
- Variety of vegetables such as squash, carrots, or zucchini
- Fresh or stale bread
- Your pet’s favorite food mix
- Small amount of cheese
- Spread your nut spread over your bread
- Press the cereal into the nut spread and then sprinkle your pet’s favorite food on top as well
- Place the vegetables around the cereal evenly
- Press cheese around the vegetables to cover the bread evenly
- Cut the bread into smaller pieces so you can hide the treats for your pet’s enjoyment
6. Fruit Salad
The easiest treat to make is just as delicious for your small pet as the more complicated ones! After all, who doesn’t love a good fruit salad? Your pet will have a beautifully colored treat with this recipe.
- One slice of an apple cubed
- ¼ banana cut into pieces
- 3 grapes
- 1 strawberry cut up
- Cut up your fruit
- Place in a small bowl for your pet to enjoy
Here is your small pet’s new favorite treat: the classic cookie! This recipe is great as they are small treats that can also be used to help your pet learn a new trick or become more comfortable being held.
- 1 cup of powdered milk
- 1 cup of wheat germ
- Half a cup of oats
- One egg white
- 100-gram jar of berry baby food
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Add the wet ingredients and then just enough water to form a dough
- Grease your cookie sheet
- Form very small pieces and place them on your cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.
- Due to their size, they cook fast which means you need to check on them frequently
- Store the cookies in an airtight container or a freezer-safe container in the freezer.
8. Yogurt Drops
Here is one of the simplest treats that you can make for your small pet, as it’s simply yogurt and any added fruit you prefer! It’s fast to make and delicious for your pet. It’s recommended to only give 1 or 2 of these to your pet a day at most.
- ½ cup non-fat yogurt
- Strawberries or any fruit that is safe for small pets
- Place your parchment paper on your cookie sheet
- Mash any fruit that you are planning on using
- Mix your yogurt and fruit together and place them inside a ziplock bag
- Cut the lower corner off just enough to allow for the yogurt to come out slowly
- Squeeze little drops all over your cookie sheet, and then place in the freezer for a minimum of three hours
The Finest Treats for the Finest Pets
These treats will help you interact and play with your small pet. After allowing these treats to cool (or freeze), you can hide them in places that encourage your pet to climb and search for them. This is great for mental stimulation as well as proper nutrition! These recipes are perfect for hamsters, gerbils, rats, and a variety of small pets.